Monday, February 02, 2009

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

For the past 3-4 years I have been having trouble swallowing food. I have to drink LOTS of water when eating anything. (even things like oatmeal) I have actually had things get stuck and not come out for over 24 hours. This happened Friday night when we were at L&Bs eating with JVA and SLA. I took one bite and I was done 24 hours later I still couldn't swallow anything. When I spit up this time blood came up also. That is when we decided to go to the Hospital. We dropped the girls of with my in laws and Headed to the Hospital. I was at Banned Gateway where for the next 4 hours they had me drink HOT coke! (YUCK) to help get it down. They also took x-rays. They decided it was not coming out and sent me to Scottsdale Shea hospital because they have a GI doctor (Gastroenterologist) once there they sedated me and did a Esophagogastroduodenoscopy where they removed the food. I did not eat or drink anything for about 32 hours! SO after that we stopped at QT and got a slim fast and vitamin water. I am now on a soft foods diet for 1-2 weeks or until I see the Dr. again! I have to go back in a week to have a biopsy it find out what exactly is causing this. She said that if I do not get it fixed it will happen again and it could rupture.

For 24 hours I could not feed Melly after the sedation so I was hurting and swollen. She had lots of formula and I had to pump and dump! it is hard to throw away something like that. Or maybe that is still the postpartum talking.

My throat is sore but other than that we are OK! These past couple weeks have not been so good for the Powell family.

3 comments:

Pen-nut said...

That is terrible. I hope that you are feeling better soon. You'll be in my prayers. Love ya!

lvh said...

Did they tell you why they had you drinking hot coke instead of something else? Uncle Morris used to love hot dr. pepper with milk in - yucko.

Hope all goes well with your next dr. appt. Hmmm - G'ma had to have her esophagus checked out every year for a few years cause she was having some problems too.


we love ya

Briep said...

she said because coke can peal a bumper sticker off a car.